This report offers purchasing and procurement tips for managers involved in decisions about selecting a DAM system. Also included is an example RFP with questions that specifically relate to Digital Asset Management.
Request the report
Practical advice for IT professionals on issues from systems integration to the IT infrastucture requirements for Digital Asset Management.
Request the report
Marketing managers are invited to consider 12 crucial points that will determine the success or failure of a web video archive.
Request the report
What is Digital Asset Management Hosting?
Digital Asset Management hosting refers to the provision of a Digital Asset Management (DAM) software system as an online service. Daydream have extensive experience of reviewing and implementing hosting solutions for DAM applications, including risk management for Cloud or SaaS hosted DAM services.
One of our major areas of consulting expertise is helping clients to set up secure, large scale Digital Asset Management hosting services where a solution could potentially be used by thousands of concurrent users from numerous global locations. Whether clients wish to outsource or insource hosting, Daydream can help assess DAM hosting needs. We cover major providers from aggregated Cloud services through to individual data centres and their resellers.
DAM Hosting: The Important Factors
- Secure Data Centres
- Scalable Content Delivery Network (CDN)
- Media Encoding Capability
- Resilient Network Infrastructure
- Detailed Security Policies
- Multiple Backup Capabilities
- Advanced Monitoring
- Failover & Redundancy
- Service Level Agreement Commitment
Secure Data Centres
- CCTV with security guard patrol
- Manned 24 hours
- Humidity Control
- VESDA (Very Early Smoke Detection)
- 6 days power backup via on-site generators
We have a range of Cloud and traditional hosting services providers that meet the above criteria and who are suitable for DAM in the UK, North America, Europe, Japan, Singapore and Australia.
Scalable Content Delivery Network (CDN)
Daydream's knowledge of content delivery solutions ranges from relatively basic distribution of images and documents right the way to large scale content delivery using an enterprise class CDN (Content Delivery Network).
Media Encoding Capability
Many DAM applications now include built-in video transcoding facilities or can be integrated into those offered by third party solution vendors. We can work with solution vendors to provide clients with either combined media encoding virtual servers for delivery from a single physical host, or a dedicated media processing server.
As well as video transcoding, we have expertise in assessing the most suitable options for encoding images, office documents, audio files and print media.
Resilient Network Infrastructure
- A fully switched Tier 1 IP network with multiple redundant routers and connections to multiple ISPs.
- At least 10gbit network architecture with interconnections between each data centre.
- 1gbit, fully-switched port on an edge switch for each server.
- Separate aggregation with failover redundancy.
Detailed Security Policy
Role Based Security
Data Protection Compliance
Multiple Backup Capabilities
- Web Server
- Database Server Failure
- Application Server
- Media Server
- Disk Space
- RAID disks
- Processor Utilisation
- Suspicious security related activity
(e.g. Denial of Service attacks, SQL injection etc.)
If any of the above either fail or reaches a pre-determined threshold, a schedule of warnings should be delivered. We advise these are issued to client's own IT personnel and engineers also.
Failover & Redundancy
- 100% availability
- Full hardware redundancy or virtualised secondary hosts
- A remote failover using a secondary host held at a distance of at least 30 miles from the primary facility
- Live synchronisation and/or clustering of web, media processing and database servers
- Redundant DNS servers in multiple geographical locations
Service Level Agreement Commitment (SLA)
- A hosting SLA that is integrated into the application support agreement
- A 24x7 helpdesk
- 24x7 network support
- Agreements with the data centre providers to provide emergency maintenance to hosts the DAM system is held on
- If non-Cloud, inventories of spare equipment should be available on-site at the data centre in the event of component failure
- For physical hosts, the highest level support and warranty schemes with hardware manufacturers and the capability to call out an engineer to attend with 2 hours of a hardware fault being reported
- A 100% SLA
- Service credits for failure to meet response and/or resolution times
For further information on Daydream's Digital Asset Management Hosting Consulting services, contact our DAM Hosting Consulting Team or read our report, "Enterprise Digital Asset Management: A Guide For IT Professionals".
Digital Asset Management Solutions: Find Out More